Running on Linux & ...

Notifications
Clear all

Running on Linux & keeping old version?

RSS

Topic starter

Hello, thanks for an amazing piece of work--turtleSpaces is a great language which I much look forward to using as a Linux local install.

I ran into some trouble on an oldish Linux--Debian Stretch--which I can't easily upgrade to something newer. The version I downloaded from turtlespaces.org prints out the following messages:

ALSA lib pcm_dsnoop.c(snd_pcm_dsnoop_open) unable to open slave
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
ALSA lib pcm.c(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for 4294967295, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for 4294967295, skipping unlock

before opening a window that downloads an update and exits, while clarifying that the previous version has been kept/archived. Then, when I execute the new version, it complains about glibc not being sufficiently recent and aborts.

The problems I'm trying to solve are the following:

1. How can I execute turtlespaces in such a way that it won't auto-update? None of the command-line options listed by as a response to -help seems to be for this.
  2. How can I make the warnings/messages listed above go away? They seem to prevent the executable from doing anything, to the point that not even the -version flag works.
  3. Is there a repository of past versions of Linux turtlespaces, hosted somewhere I can access?

In summary, I need to keep executing the version currently hosted by the website, because my OS can't easily support the dependencies required by the most recent version. Thanks for any assistance

2 Answers

Hi! 

You could try the -no-update flag and see if that stops it from updating

You may need to install portaudio if you don't have it already

We're looking at compiling a static build which will include the libraries

Hope that helps!

Could you please try this version https://drive.google.com/file/d/13qwkJWtyfou3SjCXifYV1eOHM64OdQ2L/view?usp=sharing and see if it works okay with your system? Thanks!

Share: